Banana Oat Muffins
If you have a couple of bananas that have gone a little too far to eat then this is a perfect recipe to use them up and give you a healthy snack or breakfast.
The great thing about this recipe is because of the sugar content in the banana, you don’t actually need to add alot of additional sweetness (if any – its completely up to you based on your taste). This recipe is perfect for using what you have. The only things that are a must are the oats and banana really and the rest you can mix up with what you prefer to eat! There’s no right or wrong.
We did 2 variations of the recipe; a cinnamon and a chocolate version – both delish!
So what you will need;
- 200g banana
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chia seed or ground flax seed
- 200ml milk of choice (any nut milk works great!)
- 180g oats (gluten free if needed) split up in to 80g and 100g.
- We didn’t use any baking powder, but if you want to use it then feel free!
- If you’re making it chocolatey then add 2 tablespoons of cacao or cocoa powder
- If you want to make them spiced then either add 2-3 teaspoons of cinnamon or mixed spice
- chopped nuts
- dried fruit
- chocolate chips
- If you are making them chocolate with the extra cacao/cocoa powder, then add 2 tablespoons of maple/coconut sugar/sweetener of choice. If you have a sweet tooth then you can add some to either mixture – its all up to your taste buds!
- pre heat the oven to about 170 fan assisted
- Grab a blender and add the banana, milk, sweetener (if you are using it) chia/flax and 80g of the oats.
- Blend until completely smooth.
- Pour in to a bowl and leave to sit for 10 minutes giving it a stir here and there.
- Then add the rest of the oats (whole), either cinnamon or cacao/cocoa powder (if you’re using it) and any extras like chopped nuts or chocolate chips. If you are popping in baking powder, add that in now too.
- Give it all a good stir to make sure it is all well combined.
- Split between 10 cupcake/muffin moulds/cases and bake for 30-40 minutes until they feel firm.
- Take out of the oven. If you have used moulds, leave to sit for 5 minutes before getting them out.
- Then, if you want to, drizzle them with a little chocolate and sprinkle on your toppings. Or eat them as they are.