Chocolate Hazelnut Brownie Easter Cakes
Most of the time you see Easter cupcakes with sugary icing, rich chocolate fillings and mini chocolate eggs on top. So we have taken a different route and made an alternative with one of our healthy and tasty baking mixes! So this option is completely unrefined, gluten free, wheat free, vegan and of course super good for you!
So you won’t find any chocolate mini eggs topping these cakes, but some whole hazelnuts instead! If you aren’t a fan of hazelnuts then you can use a different option. Similarly, with the topping, it’s made with butter beans to make it a little lighter (you’re welcome) but if you want something creamier for your Easter treat, then use a couple of avocados instead!
So without further delay…
- 1 un-Refined® Brownie Mix
- 350g peeled sweet potato
- 1 tin rinsed butter beans – this is for the topping so if you want to go for a richer option, use 2 ripe avocados instead.
- 3-4 tablespoons milk of choice (you may not need this if using avocados)
- 40g soaked/soft dates
- 4-5 tablespoons coconut sugar or maple syrup
- 80g roasted hazelnuts – if you don’t fancy using hazelnuts, then swap it for something different like almonds, peanuts or pistachios!
- 3 heaped tablespoons cacao or cocoa powder
- Steam the sweet potato and follow the instructions with your brownie mix.
- Before popping the brownies in the oven, chop up a third (just roughly, no need to measure) of the roasted nuts and stir in. Rather than smoothing in a pan, pop the mixture in cupcake cases. To smooth the top either wet the bottom of a spoon or your fingers. This will stop the mixture from sticking.
- While they are in the oven, move on to the topping.
- Pop another third of the roasted nuts, soft dates, rinsed butter beans (or avocado) in to your blender and blitz until smooth.
- Then add the cacao/cocoa powder, sugar/maple and milk of choice and blend until completely smooth. If you are using avocado, then you may not need to add milk so check before you add it or it may be to runny to pipe.
- Pop that to one side.
- Once your brownies are done, leave them to cool. If you used beans for the topping, double check it hasn’t thickened too much. If it has then just stir in a dash more milk. Pipe on the topping and finish with the remaining third of the nuts leaving them whole like eggs in the centre. If you want, add a final bit of melted chocolate. YUM.